McSagna is a good variation with Mc&cheese and Lasagna.A comfort recipe for cheese lovers.
Total Time: 2 hr 10 min
Prep: 20 min
Inactive: 1 hr 20 min
Cook: 30 min
- 2 cups whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup julienned oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley, plus more for serving
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Nonstick cooking spray, for greasing the baking dish
- Mac and Cheese, recipe follows, prepped in sheets for MacSagna
- 2 cups browned hot Italian sausage crumbles
- 2 cups shredded whole-milk mozzarella
- Favorite marinara sauce, warmed, for serving
- Fresh basil, for serving
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix the ricotta, Parmesan, sun-dried tomatoes and parsley in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Grease the bottom of a 9-by-14-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray and place one of the Mac and Cheese sheets on the bottom. Smear the ricotta mixture evenly over the top, then evenly scatter the Italian sausage over top of the ricotta. Place the remaining Mac and Cheese sheet on top of that. Cover the top in mozzarella.
- Bake on a lower rack until bubbly and golden brown, about 20 minutes. Let cool for at least 20 minutes.
- Slice into pieces and place on individual serving plates. Ladle some warm marinara over each slice and garnish with fresh parsley and basil.
Mc & Cheese Recipe
- Kosher salt
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 8 ounces processed cheese, such as Velveeta
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp provolone
- Splash hot sauce or pinch of cayenne
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook until VERY al dente. Drain.
- Melt the butter in a medium sauce pot over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and stir for a couple of minutes, till the flour taste is cooked out. Stir in the milk, bring to a simmer and cook over medium low until thickened. Stir in the processed cheese and provolone until melted, add the hot sauce and fold in the macaroni.
- To prep in sheets for MacSagna: Evenly spread the warm macaroni and cheese in a parchment-lined baking sheet, making sure the parchment is overlapping to make it easier to lift once cooled. Cover with another sheet of parchment and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour or overnight. Cut the macaroni and cheese sheet into 2 equal-size rectangles.